Ottawa: Pleases the AFICIONADO in you
Some of Ottawa's most commonly visited tourist attractions are the Byward Market, Parliament Hill, the Rideau Canal, and the numerous museums we have here. BUT! Let us fill you in on some of Ottawa's best kept secrets...
Pleases the MUSIC lover
What many people tend to overlook is that the MUSIC scene in Ottawa that is very alive and happening. Ask our staff about word of mouth house shows or check out some of these awesome places!
- Fat Tuesdays: Dueling pianos shows with New Orleans atmosphere!
- Open Mic @ Mugshots Jail Bar: Local and travelling artists take to the stage at our low key open mic night!
- Chateau Lafayette: Ottawa's oldest bar that is also infamous for its Saturday afternoon Lucky Ron show!
- Babylon: Dark and slightly dingey "hole-in-the-wall" bar with an awesome vibe and is one of the Ottawa frontrunners for underground live Entertainment.
- Ritual: Its hip hop roots are apparent throughout this two storey club but they never limit themselves to just that. Ritual is the Ottawa destination on the tour for countless up-and-coming or already famous artists.
- National Arts Centre: Canada's premier showcase of the performing arts.
- Dance parties @ Saint Brigid's: A beautiful church that transforms on certain nights for special events and dance parties!
- Hull Booze Cruises: Join an organized booze cruise or book your own out on this party boat on the Ottawa River!
- Ottawa Explosion: A rockin' music festival featuring bands from Ottawa and beyond.
- Jazzfest: An international jazz festival taking place in scenic downtown parks.
- Ottawa Bluesfest: Ottawa's largest outdoor annual summertime music festival.
- Escapade: Outdoor summertime electronic music festival.
- Arboretum: European boutique style music festival, featuring all Canadian indie bands, amazing food, art and craft brewers.
- Ottawa Folk Festival: Outdoor folk music festival held in Hogsback Park at the beginning of every September.
Pleases the ARTsy
For those looking to inspire and be inspired, there is always something ARTistic happening:
Pleases the SPORTsman
Ottawa is also ranked one of the most active and athletic cities in Canada meaning we have a tonne of exciting sports and recreation activities to do here.
- Take advantage of the sun and rent one of our bikes for only $20 a day.
- Recreational Pathways: Beautiful paths weave throughout the cities green spaces, rivers and the canal!
- Gatineau Park: Only 20 minutes outside of downtown Ottawa is a huge National Capital conservation park full of beautiful lakes, hiking trails and endless athletic and nature oriented activities.
- Skating or Canoeing on the Rideau Canal: Weather permitting a 10 km skate from downtown Ottawa to Dows lake. Skates rentals and food vendors right on the canal!
- Rock Climbing: Indoor and outdoor options throughout the Ottawa area.
- Esprit White Water Rafting: Located just 2 hours outside of Ottawa, Esprit is an exciting white water rafting experience with weekly shuttles leaving from our hostel in the summer season!
- Calypso Water Park: Just 30-40 minutes outside Ottawa, lots of fun slides and water activities!
- Bungee Jumping & Zip Lining: 20-30 minutes drive to Wakefield, QC.
- SENS Tickets: Sold at our front desk - See Ottawa's NHL team in action!
Pleases the FESTIVALgoers
As a city we love to party together at the many Celebrations that go on throughout the year.
- Canadian Tulip Festival: A celebration of Canada's friendship and history with the Netherlands, dating back to WWII.
- Canada Day: Ottawa goes wild for the birthday of her country!
- Harvest Noir: A large outdoor dinner party in a secret location. An Ottawa tradition often referred to as a "Chic-Picnic".
- Capital Pride: Ottawa shows its colours for our annual Gay Pride Festival!
- Winterlude: Exciting festival celebrating winter in the city!
Pleases the SHOPaholic
We also have some great places to Shop if you know to look in the right places. We will fill you in on the secret...
For the ladies...
- Young Janes: Ladies vintage on Dalhousie Street.
- Rag Time: Unisex vintage and costumes!
- Milk: Independently owned and reasonably priced boutique.
- Allegro: A mix of local designers and vintage clothing.
- Victoire: Local high end designer's boutique.
- Workshop: A funky local designer's boutique.
For the gentlemen...
- Trust Fund: Downtown chic essentials - Unique clothing for those who don't mind spending more.
- Schad: For shoppers looking to invest in quality pieces and that Canadian chic look.
- NRML: Unisex clothing for the skateboarders, snowboarders, and urban party goers.
- Top of the World: Boarding apparel, fashion and all the rest.