Jobs and Internships
Want to join a dynamic team of laid-back, fun and charming people? See below if we have any available positions or apply to become a volunteer!
The Front Desk Supervisor is a service-oriented leader who is looking to apply their skills towards all aspects of the front desk department, with the goal of improving guest experience, overnight and sales revenues, as well as staff engagement and development. The front desk supervisor has the ability to work well under pressure and independently, making common sense decisions that positively impact the guests while keeping within the guidelines of Hostelling International Toronto. They are also capable of demonstrating quick thinking and decisive demeanor.
- Oversees all daily front desk operations: reservations, guest services and coordinates with other departments;
- Acts as Manager on Duty when working;
- Participates in the selections of new staff
- Completes the onboarding, training, performance appraisal of front desk staff;
- Prepares and manages front desk schedules, including stepping in during staff shortages, at minimal or no notice;
- Checks conditions of all reservations with extreme attention to detail, and is able to use logic and sound business strategies to make adjustments as necessary;
- Coordinates with front desk staff the management of bed and room inventory, so as to maximize bed revenue by applying yield management concepts;
- Ensures all front desk staff execute hostel policies, standards and procedures while continually supporting our mission and objectives;
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.;
Qualifications and skills
- Knowledge of Roommaster or other PMS
- Computer literacy and ability to create professional documents;
- Proficiency in English, as well as a second language an asset (French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Spanish or Portuguese preferred);
- Ability to solve mathematical challenges in an effective and timely manner;
- Ability to handle large amounts of cash and other transactions accurately;
- Ability to identify opportunities and apply sound revenue and yield management concepts;
- Ability to provide knowledgeable information and guidance to guests, regarding directions, local attractions and points of interest;
- Extensive knowledge of HI Toronto's front desk and guest service policies, procedures and standards;
- Knowledge of Risk Management concepts, as well as AODA training;
- Proven ability to multi task in a high volume work setting, with dedicated attention to detail and deadlines;
- Ability to handle customer complaints effectively and within guidelines;
- Ability to be reached by front desk agents for support during off times;
- Maintain a professional presentation and exceptional positive attitude that will inspire front desk agents;
- Minimum 1 year supervisory experience in Hospitality;
- Minimum 2 year experience in customer service, preferably in a tourism and hospitality setting;
- Post-Secondary Diploma/Certification in Hotel Management, Hospitality Management; OR
- Post-Secondary Diploma/Certification in Business Management with combined
hospitality and tourism work experience.;
- Shifts include evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays as scheduled by management;
- Requires standing for the duration of the shift;
- Requires lifting and carrying heavy items;
- This work is often carried out in a busy environment;
Critical Success Factors
- Positive attitude and friendly nature;
- Flexible and adaptable;
- Punctual and reliable;
- Alert mind with attention to detail;
- Takes initiative and provides solutions for improvement;
- Physically able to perform job without injury;
Interested candidates should send their resume and a cover letter explaining why they think they'd be the perfect fit to email@example.com.
Reports To: General Manager, Assistant General Manager
Application closing date: June 10th, 2016
Full time, 37.5 hour per week
Salary: $15 to $18 per hour depending on experience
The Maintenance Supervisor of the Toronto hostel is responsible for all aspects of hostel maintenance in accordance with the Hostelling International mission statement, and communicates on an ongoing basis with the hostel manager. The Maintenance Supervisor assists the Manager in ensuring a superior product that will meet the needs of both the customer and HI-Toronto standards. He/she is responsible for knowing, understanding, and communicating the company's policies and procedures.
1. Ensuring a functional facility at all times in areas of Building Maintenance; Health & Safety; Emergency Procedures; Emergency Lights and Building Access.
2. Be an active member and leader of the hostels Joint Health and Safety Committee.
3. Implementation and follow-up of regular inspections involving all maintenance and cleaning of the facility.
4. Ensuring ongoing communication with Hostel Manager via use of reports, email, and staff meetings.
5. Initiate and manage third party relationships. Example: Cleaning Contractor and third party suppliers.
6. Implementing day-to-day maintenance tasks such as bed checks, washroom repairs etc?.
7. Setting a positive example of both attitude and service for all staff to follow.
8. Proactively manage, evaluate and ensure building maintenance is running smoothly through use of the maintenance log and communication with the Manager, Front Desk Supervisor and the Front Desk Associates.
9. Complete all preventative maintenance tasks on time and document within the HI-Q program..
10. Providing feedback regarding customer complaints, suggestions, staff concerns, safety issues etc. to the Manager verbally, by voicemail, or email in an immediate fashion.
11. Assisting the Manager in creating applicable hostel budgets which include furniture, equipment and supplies. Proactively address any and all upcoming issues in these areas.
12. Manage and control budget expenditures.
13. Communicate any concerns or other comments immediately to manager, offering, if applicable, any resolutions.
14. Participation in long-term strategic planning and assisting the hostel Manager with capital project planning, implementation and weekly supervisory meetings.
15. Performing other related duties as required by Manager or Regional Operations Manager.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
1. Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written).
2. Ability to understand and implement building maintenance
3. Ability to understand and manage monthly budgets
4. Ability to remain composed during high-pressure situations.
5. Skilled in time management and organization techniques.
6. Ability to develop and maintain an effective filing system.
1. Previous supervisory/management experience.
2. Previous maintenance experience in a commercial facility.
3. Basic budgeting and accounting experience.
4. Any experience in a professional field is an asset.
1. Knowledge of HI-Toronto policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of the specific functions in each department.
3. Basic computer training - knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, Access.
4. Any formal business/management education is an asset.
Critical Success Factors
1. Positive attitude and friendly, self-confident nature.
2. Patience to deal calmly with continual demands of management.
3. Assertive, yet fair and professional management style.
4. Ability to make quick, appropriate decisions.
5. Alert mind with an attention to detail.
6. Ability to cope with stress.
7. Physically fit to perform job without injury.
To apply, e-mail your resume and cover letter to Desmond Tibby at firstname.lastname@example.org
VOLUNTEER AT HI-TORONTO
Love Toronto and want to share it with the world? We are looking for super fun volunteers to run activities and events for our guests at HI Toronto! The types of activities you will lead include our legendary pub crawl, walking tours, sporting events, quiz nights and much, much more. We love creative ideas- so let us know if you have an awesome suggestion for an event!
If you're interested in this opportunity, send an email to email@example.com. Please include your resume and a description of the activities that you would be fantastic at leading. Also, we would love to know why you are interested in volunteering with HI-Toronto.