The Hostel is now closed for the winter
We are closed from November 20, 2013 to April 2014.
Enjoy the ski season and we will see you in the spring!
Located in the historic Squilax General Store, HI-Shuswap Lake hostel sits on Shuswap Lake, one of the province's most popular summer vacation destinations for "wild" swimming, canoeing, whitewater rafting, ziplining, segway tours, golfing, helicopter tours and hiking. We are ideally situated as a half-way stopover between Vancouver and Banff - only a five-hour drive each way - and the hostel is located right on the Trans-Canada Highway.
The hostel's unique dorms are in three converted Canadian National cabooses (rail cars - see pictures to the right) as sleeping quarters. Each caboose has it's own kitchen, sitting area and toilet. The showers are located in the building next to the cabooses. The private rooms are in the main building - sorry not in the traincars. Each room has an iPod/mp3/cd speakers and USB chargers.
Our hostel lounge has a projection TV. Come watch any major sporting events: or you can connect you laptop and look in your photos on a two-metre screen. Spring activities include wildlife (beaver's, bald eagles) viewing, local hotel pool/hot tub or sit by our campfire roasting marshmallows.
During your stay, check out some of our planned activities or one of the many events and festivals happening in the area. We proudly support the arts so our events schedule includes live music and art shows throughout the year.
HI-Shuswap is recommended by Let's Go Travel!
The Canadian Experience
All you dreamed about Canada, you can experience here:
- Canoeing - free at the hostel
- Pancakes and real Maple Syrup - our breakfast all you can eat fruit pancakes are raved about.
- Campfire - right by the water where you can roast marshmallows, make S'more (a Canadian campfire delicacy), sing songs, star-gaze or look for northern lights. You could even try our native style sauna. Sometimes the coyotes will sing to you.
- Hiking - lots of great trails in the Shuswap ( www.shuswaptrailalliance.com ) Free use of a hiking self guided kit (day pack, binoculars, plant, bird, bug and mammal guide books).
- Beaver Viewing - Just a 5 minute walk or canoe ride from the hostel you can see real beavers and it's house (called a lodge). Our friendly tour guide Samsonite (lab/retriever/malamute dog) will take you there.
- Wharf - hang out on the water suntanning, "Wild" swimming, watching eagles, salmon, geese and the mountains...maybe even see a bear or moose.
- Mountains and Lakes - the hostel's front and back yard.
Organic Grocery Store on Site.
The store caters to the backpacker by selling single eggs, 1/2 litres of milk, fresh fruit, vegetables and more. The store is "Tante Emma" style featuring local and organic products. We have a herb garden for hosteller's use right beside our BBQ. Guests are welcome to pick rhubarb, Saskatoon berries, gooseberries or apples right from the garden.
Tenting is also available in summer. Hostel pets on-site.
Please note hostel check-in is ONLY until 10 pm.
Attention Techies and GPS users:
To really, really find us, it is best to use our co-ordinates rather than postal code. The postal code will direct you to our snail mail box in Chase. The co-ordinates will take you directly to us... honest. Our co-ordinates are: Longitude -119,573666 and Latitude 50,872689. We are now on street view of Google maps, just search for Squilax, BC. Just move the yellow Man to the hostel. You will have to rotate 180 to see us. The hostel reception is in the Store.